The control of reaction conditions, monomer selection, and the use of catalysts are critical aspects in polymer synthesis to achieve desired properties in the final product.
At AIMPLAS, we focus on synthesis and modification of polymers (both thermoplastics and thermosets) and sustainable innovative additives for the plastics industry, as well as micro- and nanoparticles/capsules with different applications, and the development of functional coatings with advanced properties.
We offer solutions throughout the value chain
To obtain new polymers, we first design the synthesis and polymerization process. We then work on scaling up the reaction and subsequent purification stages, thus covering all the steps in the process of synthesizing polymers and nanoparticles.
Some of the main R&D lines we are currently working on include:
- Synthesis and functionalization of custom-designed polymers (thermoplastics and thermosets) with a strong focus on biopolymers.
- Synthesis and modification of customized additives.
- Reactive extrusion.
- Polymerization with different catalysts, including enzymes.
- Synthesis of micro- and nanoparticles.
- Encapsulation of active substances.
- Isotopic markers.
- Materials with advanced and intrinsically active properties.
- Functional coatings.
- Chitosan in multiple applications.
- Reversible polymers.
- New antimicrobials.
- Sustainable flame retardants.
- Waste recovery for the production of biopolymers and bioadditives.
Chemistry adapted to your needs
Large-scale testing (up to 100 kg for batch extrusion and up to 500 kg for reactive extrusion), including compounding and processing.
At AIMPLAS, we have a full team of people with extensive experience in materials and advanced characterization techniques offering technical assistance in different areas:
- Development of new materials and improvement of final properties.
- Design of synthesis and functionalization strategies.
- Compounding and processability of plastic materials. Detection of and assistance with processing problems caused by degradation and/or raw material modifications.
- New application markets and innovation opportunities for polymeric materials in industry.
- Recovery of different types of biomass and upcycling.