A coating is a film applied to a substrate that forms a continuous, resistant film under normal conditions of use.
Coatings can have a decorative purpose, as in the case of wall paints and furniture varnishes, but they can also be designed to fulfil a specific function, as in the case of anti-icing coatings that prevent the formation of ice and/or are capable of removing it once it has formed. As their name suggests, antimicrobial coatings are capable of inhibiting or eliminating the growth of certain microorganisms.
At AIMPLAS, we develop different kinds of coatings based on their function:
- Hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings
- Hybrid anti-icing coatings
- Antimicrobial coatings
- Cool coatings (energy efficiency)
- Coatings with oxygen and water vapour barrier properties
- Coatings for paper (water and grease resistance and barrier properties)
- Flame retardant coatings
- Anti-abrasion coatings
- Coatings based on natural polymers (SUP Directive)
- Bio-based coatings
- Anti-fouling coatings
- Anti-scratch coatings
- Thermal coatings
- Conductive coatings
At AIMPLAS, we have extensive experience in the development of these solutions for different sectors, including packaging, construction, renewable energy, mobility and health. We can also design coatings for application on different substrates, including paper, composites, thermoplastics, plasterboard and plaster.
- Formulation Laboratory scale:
- DISPERMAT dispersers
- Ball mill
- K-Control Coater automatic applicator
- Brookfield Viscometer
- Ford viscosity cup
- Three-cylinder mill
- Turbiscan (stability)
- Particle size measurement
- Laboratory scale printing and laminating technologies
- Extrusion coating
- Metal and metal oxide coating application equipment
- Screen printing
- Doctor blade
- Slot die
- Adhesive laminating equipment (water-based, solvent-based and hot-melt)
- Dip coating
- Pilot plant for coating technologies
- Semi-industrial lamination machine (application of coatings using flexo and rotogravure coating and solvent-based, water-based or hot-melt laminating).
- Extrusion coating
- Corona treater
We have a team of specialists in solutions for different sectors and application substrates
We have state-of-the-art technology for coating development and characterization.
We carry out developments at laboratory and pilot plant scale that are always aligned with the circular economy.