25 answers needed in plastic product design
Plastic product design must be seen as a multidisciplinary and collaborative task, requiring the participation of different complementary disciplines to achieve the fulfilment of the requirements given by the customer, in case of designing. In order to make easier the designer’s task, we can answer the following 25 questions.
From a commercial or market point of view, we have the following questions:
- Why do we need a new design?
- What is going to be the function of our product?
- Are we going to replace other existing products?
- Are there competitive products available in the market?
- Are there patents or designs protected that may conflict with this new design?
If we look at use and usability criteria, we are talking about:
- How is our product going to be used?
- Where is it going to be used? (Enclosed spaces, outside)
- Who is the potential user of our product?
- Does he need a specific training?
- How can we make easier the use from its design?
- Are there possibilities of a misuse of my product that may be dangerous to the user?
- Is it a single-use product?
- Does my product have an expected long shelf life?
- How many uses could it have? (100; 1,000; 10,000; etc.)
- Is it a seasonal product?
- Is it a promotional product?
If we think about aesthetical or finishing reasons:
- Why is important the appearance of our product? (Finish, colour, surface aspect)?
- Is it a useful product or is it only singular on design?